Monday, June 24, 2013

Bus Riders are People too! Soak ´em for Crutchie! (Week 57)

Hey all!

Well it was a great and crazy week.  I have a lot to report on so here goes.

Bad news first.  Elder Sena went home last week.  He called Pres. Fortunato and asked to be sent home.  So that was a big bummer. Really, I was really sad to see him go.  He would have been such a great missionary.  But he let some things get to his head and he started thinking negatively so that´s what happens I guess. 

I went to BH on Tuesday night and spent the evening with the Secretaries.  Luckily for us, when we were in BH, there was a HUGE protest about the high bus ticket prices and they closed all the main roads in BH.  It was actually pretty cool to see so many people.  We didn´t participate but everyone was really animated.  The government raised the bus prices because of the World Cup next year but apparently they don´t have enough money for the hospitals and schools so a lot of people are mad that they are spending millions on soccer stadiums and people are dying and suffering still.  

I got transferred to Florence Ward (Ala Florença) so I feel like I am in Italy now! Haha, not really, but hey, it is kind of cool.  We share the chapel with the Venice Ward (Ala Veneza) so I might just start speaking Italian these days.  I am with Elder Fransisco, an excellent missionary and Zone Leader here in Zona Pampulha.  He is teaching me a lot and we are excited to work and serve together with the missionaries here in this zone. 

They had a big protest in our neighborhood about the bus prices this week too. The people blocked the highway for the whole day - they had huge trucks and buses, just stopped in the middle of the road.  It was annoying because no one was at home so it was a bit difficult to teach people. 

We were blessed with two wonderful baptisms yesterday.  Lilian and Vanessa were baptized yesterday.  They both are very special and wonderful people and it was wonderful to serve with them this week. The ward here is small but with a lot of great members.  One of the evidences that the church is true is that the people who live the gospel are happy and really can change their lives. I am excited to work here with them.

And the best thing (besides the baptisms!) about this week was that wonderful missionary conference last night. Wow! That was absolutely wonderful.  I am so grateful to be a missionary.  I really want to be a better one.  It was the biggest Zone meeting I have ever had.  Wow. It was so cool to see all the people singing and all the missionaries! It made me feel so good to see how many people are obeying the call of the prophet to preach the gospel.  I was struck last night how many times Pres. Monson has said recently that the most important thing that we can do is preach the gospel.  That really is the most important thing.  And I am grateful, for the opportunity that I have to preach this gospel.
I know that this church is true! I know that God lives and I have gained a great witness that He loves His Children.  I know that we can gain help from Him if we are obedient, diligent and have faith.

I love you all!
Elder Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment