Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Vamos Irmãos Cantar! (Week 8)



Oi! Como vai?
 
It's been another great week. This is the last P-Day at the CTM! I've really come to love this place. I've had so many spiritual experiences and I've grown a lot from my time here. I'll miss it. That being said, I'm excited to finally be getting out into the field! I've waited my whole life for this, and I want to get to work!
 
I don't know when I'll be able to email again because I don't know when my next P-Day will be. So if you don't get an email from me next week, you'll know why. I leave on Tuesday of next week. Can't wait!
 
The highlight of this week was proselyting. For the first time, I got to proselyte and share the gospel in Portuguese. Man, it was cool! The entire district was so jittery and excited before and when our instructor showed up we hit the streets. Then it was just Elder Reese and me, talking to every person we could. My Portuguese wasn't great but I was really excited and I felt the Spirit as we tried to share the great message of the restored gospel. I gave a Book of Mormon to a drunk guy (He said he had been thinking about God when we passed, so here's hoping!) and we were able to talk to a lot of really nice people. We also were rejected quite a bit - one lady put her umbrella directly between her and me when I tried to shake her hand. We were really blessed by the Lord. One young guy, named Jonahtas was super interested. We talked to him for a good ten minutes and got his number to give to the Sao Paulo missionaries. Even though it was pouring rain, we felt happy and relieved to be doing the good work. I know that the gospel is for everyone and it will make any life more meaningful and fulfilled. We get to go to a big square in downtown Sao Paulo next monday so I'm excited! This church is true!
 
Elder Reese is a great companion. He works so hard and we've been able to learn a lot from each other. He's going to Brasilia as are most of the district. I'm the only one going to Belo. So when I head out, it'll be me and three Argentinians and a lot of Brazilians! I'm excited!
 
The district is so cool and I'm going to miss them a lot. You really form special bonds when you're in a class room for days on end with each other.... well, sometimes it just feels like days on end.
 
And great news! My great friend Elder Taylor Demars arrived today. It was a joyous reunion. He was in the Elders Quorum Presidency in my ward at BYU and he's a great example. He's happy and already commited to working hard. He's a great example and I'm happy I got to see him.
 
Elder Reese and I have made two great friends here at the CTM - Elder Dylan Jensen and Elder Krausse. They are hilarious and great missionaries. Elder Jensen always cracks me up. I'm going to miss them. I'll send pictures maybe if we have time.
 
Did you get the pictures that my instructor sent from the temple? I'm going to send them again in case it didn't work. We are realy blessed to have the instructors that we do. Irmao Leo and Irmao Costa are great examples and they teach us a ton about missionary work. They've really instilled in us the desire to be angels to the people of Brazil and to be dedicated to obedience 100% so that the Lord can bless us and help us grow.
 
The rest of the week is meetings about staying healthy and travel as well as some final workshops about preaching and being a good missionary. I'm really excited and I'm going to end my stay here at the CTM strong. :)
 

Mom and Dad, I'm sorry but I spent more money today than usual. I wanted to get some of my shirts and my suit dry cleaned so I can look ready to go when I get to Belo and I stocked up on some trinkets for Sam and the girls. I hope you don't mind - I've been trying to be frugal. Let me know if I'm spending to much. I'm sorry.
 
I'm happy to be here and I'm learning a lot. It's humbling to be a missionary but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Thank you all for the letters and support! 
 
Most importantly, I finished the Book of Mormon this week. I want to end with my simple witness about that remarkable book. I know that it is a true record of God's word. I have had so many precious spiritual impressions and lessons from that book and I am so grateful for what it has taught me. This book will be my anchor on my mission because it teaches that "perfect love casteth out fear" (Moroni 8:16) and it reminds me constantly of the great mercy and blessings of God. I know that God is real. His love and support is all around us. We cannot tell nor understand exactly how He is supporting us every single day, but I know that He is. Our lives are known and our needs are accounted for. I am so grateful for the power of prayer and I've grown so much closer to my Heavenly Father these past few weeks than I have ever before in my life. I know that He wants to talk to all of His children and He will bless us if we come to him. I've been blessed by his love every day of my life. I'm so grateful for his love.
 
Be good! Be happy! And have a great week! :)
 
Elder Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment