Monday, November 5, 2012

Oh yeah‏ (Week 24)

 
 
 

 


Hey All!

I am doing well out here. We are helping Dilson prepare for baptism this Sunday. He has Parkinsons disease and is a really smart guy. He has been having a lot of troubles with family lately but it is edifying to see him embrace the gospel. Celma and Giselle were confirmed yesterday. They are already talking about going to the temple in a year. They are really special and I am going to miss them a lot.

Crazy story of the week - in sacrament meeting yesterday there was a man from Atlanta, Georgia. He was born in Belo Horizonte but moved to Georgia when he was 7. He moved back to Brazil a month ago because of all the crazy stuff that has been happening with the storm in New York. He saw it as a sign of the times and ended up in a sacrament meeting in Contagem, MG. We taught him the first lesson (in English - boy, was that weird.) and he accepted to be baptized next Sunday. The elders in the area next to us are going to teach him, but it was really cool. He is a really intelligent and interested individual. The Lord sure works in mysterious ways.

Elder Sloan and I are doing well and working hard. Elder Sloan has this habit of singing hymns but only the first line of the hymn - for example, he will sing ´´Come Come Ye Saints, oh come, come ye saints! Come ye saints, come ye saints.´´ to the tune of the hymn. I enjoy it - it helps to bring a laugh to our work. I am really enjoying Brazilian juices - they have some really tasty ones thanks to the proximity of a variety of fresh fruit. And for all those of you who thought I don't like to eat eggs, I have learned to like them. One thing we are doing is inviting all the members to fast and pray that the branch can grow and the missionary effort will be blessed. Fasting and prayer are simple things that really bring big blessings.

I am honestly so grateful to be serving a mission right now. I read in Our Heritage about Zion´s camp and all the early leaders of the Church. I thought about my ancestors distant and not so distant and I am honored to have their examples. And yesterday, hearing the Brazilian saints bearing testimony of the gospel, my faith and resolve to be more dedicated to this cause was strengthened. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that this Church is His church. I honestly am grateful to be a missionary of the Lord.

Well, that´s it for me this week! I am doing well, happy and healthy! Hope you all are the same! Be Happy! Be good!

Elder Jacob

P.S. The cockroaches aren't huge here but there are quite a few. I try and shoo them out of the shower in the morning just so I don't have to worry about them, but really they aren't that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment